Salt Fork of the Brazos River at County Route 207, Peacock, Texas
Construction of the Oriana Bridge across the Salt Fork of the Brazos River was completed in June 1917 by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co., Leavenworth, KS, for $9,255. The concrete piers failed by October 1917. In February 1918, the county awarded a $6,500 repair contract to Austin Brothers, Dallas, TX.
Given the size of the contract, Austin Brothers may have replaced a damaged truss, or trusses, as well as repaired the piers. The county sought financial assistance from the newly formed Texas State Highway Department, predecessor to the Texas Department of Transportation. The bridge was closed in 1995.
An increasingly rare example of the once common Camelback truss, the Oriana Bridge was an important all-weather link in an early east-west road between Aspermont, Stonewall County, and Jayton, the principle city of Kent County. It is an example of the multi-truss bridges spanning the dramatically fluctuating rivers common throughout Texas.
© 2003 Historic Bridge Foundation. Provided by Texas Department of Transportation.