Oakes Street Bridge

Tom Green County

Oakes Street at the North Concho River, San Angelo, Texas

History

Spanning the North Concho River in San Angelo, this long curvate bridge was constructed in 1930 to replace an 1880 steel truss bridge that had long outworn its use. The 472-foot long bridge consists of 11 spans of continuous variable depth concrete girders resting on massive two and three column concrete piers. The curved line of the girders is repeated in miniature along the scalloped fascia walls placed along the outside of the deck. Noted bridge engineer, Francis Hughes of Dallas, designed the new concrete bridge to complement the nearby 1924 concrete curved beam Murphy Bridge on Beauregard Avenue. The Oakes Street Bridge is significant as the only example of a concrete bridge in West Texas designed by a renowned bridge engineer.

 

© 2003 Historic Bridge Foundation. Photograph by Texas Department of Transportation.