Waco Suspension Bridge

McLennan County

Bridge Street at the Brazos River, Waco, Texas

 

History

Hailed as the first span across the Brazos River, the 475-foot Waco Suspension Bridge opened to horse-drawn wagon traffic in 1869. Requiring specialized materials and nearly 3 million bricks, the bridge was a spectacular engineering feat for its time.

Photo above by Jack Lewis, Texas Department of Transportation. Other photos provided by Texas Department of Transportation.

 

© 2003 Historic Bridge Foundation.