First Street at the West Fork of the Trinity River, Fort Worth, Texas
Riveted steel plate girder bridge built in 1936. Perched high above the West Fork of the Trinity River, the Albright Bridge is composed of three spans of riveted steel plate girders erected over massive reinforced concrete two column piers. Tarrant County built this bridge on East First Street in c. 1936 after a design by noted Dallas bridge engineer, F.D. Hughes. To create this crossing, Hughes utilized three riveted steel plate girders that could be supported without placing a pier in the center of the river. Although situated in a rural setting, special attention was given to the design of the bridges rail. Framed by curving concrete entry walls, the finespun steel rail features small circles placed between each picket.
© 2003 Historic Bridge Foundation. Photo by Texas Department of Transportation.