Henderson Street Bridge
Street at the Clear Fork of the Trinity River, Fort Worth, Texas.
Open spandrel concrete arch built in 1930. Spanning the Clear Fork of the Trinity River with a 124 long arch and 14 curved concrete girder approaches, the Henderson Street Bridge is a distinctive landmark in Fort Worth. The city erected this bridge in 1930, while developing the Jacksboro Highway to Lake Worth. To create a bridge fitting of the prospering city, engineers Ira G. Hedrick and C.M. Thelin, utilized a graceful open-spandrel arch form. An facet of the bridge is the curved concrete wall located between the arch rings; it was designed to act as a conduit for utility lines running across the river.
© 2003 Historic Bridge Foundation. Photos by Texas Department of Transportation.